Translate

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Cream of mushroom soup

Friday writing what are you passionate about.  Sorry this is late, my back has been giving me problems and it’s hard to sit in the computer chair.  I saw the post that said do you love potato soup then write about potato soup.  The first thought that came to my head was I absolutely love cream of mushroom soup.  It has to be Campbell’s though.  Generic brands will not do at all.  I will eat it straight out of the can, which a lot of my friends and family think is yucchy.  I mix it with mashed potatoes and shredded cheese, just my serving because my family doesn’t like that either.  I put it on baked potatoes instead of sour cream sometimes.  I cook with it.  My dad introduced us to cream of mushroom soup when I was little and along with that came a recipe for a side dish of Minute Rice mixed with cream of mushroom soup.  Well I elaborated on that and one day when I was eating pickles, I mixed them into the rice and soup mix.  It was really good so that is now a side dish favorite.  I have to admit that because of tight finances sometimes that is our only dish and not a side dish.  Rice is cheap, the soup is cheap and so are pickles.  It works with green beans in place of the pickles but again I’m the only one that will eat that combination.  I put it on top of chicken and pork chops and cook them in the slow cooker.  By the time the chicken or pork chops are done you have to spoon them out of the slow cooker because they fall apart when you try to use a fork.  I found out just by chance that it is good on bean and cheese burritos.  Yeah I know, weird combo, I was bored of the burritos and had a can of cream of mushroom soup and it turned out to be good; again only for me at this point my family thought I was nuts.  I guess it’s a comfort food for me.  It reminds me of my dad whom I miss terribly.  He’s been dead for 25 years and it seems like just yesterday some days.  Ok off topic, I just love cream of mushroom soup.  There isn’t much more to say than that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment